Tuesday, November 6, 2007

She ain't heavy, she's my sister

Go see my sister, Jessica L. Fenton, who is only heavy in bizarro world, play a night of original acoustic duo music at Googie's Lounge this Thursday, November 8 at 9:30. No cover, one drink minimum.

Why support this nepotism? Because this city makes it incredibly hard for good music to be supported, and her music deserves to be given a chance by those eagerly sought after fans who come to the gig purely out of musical curiosity, not because they want to sound cool recapping their weekend at the water cooler on Monday morning or harbor a sense of obligation (not that we musicians don't appreciate the support from our friends and family who are often the only patrons at our shows).

If you know anything about my music, expect to hear quite the opposite from Jessica. While I like to think it was the many hours I slaved with my alto over the Bb Blues Scale along with Jamey A. and the play-a-long crew back in high school that influenced Jessie's musicality, the real credit should be given to my mother. We grew up hearing her play the baddest folk guitar in church those catholic priests had ever heard! There's no doubt that hearing my mom play every Saturday night for the "folk" mass as well as around the house occasionally, though not nearly enough, both Jessie and I, as well as our two brothers, were given a deep sense of the functionality of music- I don't think any of us really minded going to church those Saturday nights. It was worth it to hear my mom play and her friend, Carol Hayes, who had the most beautiful voice I had ever heard, sing. While I chose the academic route, Jessica followed my mom's path, and learned to play by ear. Her music is a prime example of why knowing all the music theory in the world can not make up for having an incredible ear.

When you come on Thursday, expect to hear a slight departure from her loud, full band "alternative pop rock" sound. This set will feature Jess on acoustic guitar and Jonathon Roberts, of her band The Stairdivers, on Googie's beautiful white baby grand piano. Those familiar with her music can look forward to hearing her more popular tunes, "What were you expecting," and "Wool." I am looking forward to hearing her lesser known tunes, "Hey, It's Ok," and "Routine Continuing." Jessie is looking forward to the beautiful white baby grand.

Check out Jessica's website and myspace, and we'll see you on Thursday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jessica Fenton is not only musically gifted but beautiful and
brilliant as well. Now, all we have to do is make her rich !!!
I remember her hollering her head off as a young child, out at the rifle range on board the Marine Corps Base at Camp LeJeune, North Carolina. The U.S. Government put her in a remote spot, so she could practice her music.
(No it was NOT a covert CIA experiment,... honest !)
It even sounded like beautiful music then !
An Admirer,
- G. Andrew Macklin