I need some guidance... I'm considering streamlining my internet presence and taking this blog up a notch. The idea I'm tossing around is a single website for the blog and my personal info. This would mean taking down the Dynamod website (which I was never fond of anyway) and closing this blog in lieu of a new one. After switching the Races in Places site from Blogger to a WordPress.com blog, I've come to love WordPress's interface much better than Blogger. However, I'm not keen on the majority of their free themes which has lead me to explore the WordPress.org option, but opened up a huge canful of questions.
I've searched forums and FAQs but cannot seem to find the info I need. So I thought I would pose the question to you, dear reader.
What I'd like to know is this:
- If using WordPress.org, is the blog posting interface the same as WordPress.com?
- Can I use a theme like this one on WordPress.com?
- If I want to use any theme not listed as an "available theme" by WordPress.com, does this mean I need a WordPress.org account instead?
- If the above answer is "yes," how much new info do I need to learn to operate a WP.org blog? (I already spend too much of my composing time doing auxillary interneting, I don't really want to increase this!)
- I noticed that some of the hosters through WP.org, such as Blue Host offer email inboxes. How exactly does this work?
- How do I set up my current sites (Dynamod & Blogger) to redirect to the new site?
- Have a blog with multiple pages so that one page is the blog itself, the others are pages containing info about me as a composer (bio, etc) and the big band.
- I want to host audio, video, pictures, polls & external (non-WP) widgets
- I want general customization as far as font, color schemes, banner image, and basic layout (positioning of widgets, etc) are concerned
- I don't have the budget to pay some to do this and this new venture shouldn't cost more than what I am currently paying for my Dynamod, which is $15/mon.